Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Book Page Crafts

As you all know I love books, the thought of tearing a page out makes me cringe. It brings back memories from my elementary school days and the class I helped teach about taking care of borrowed books. However, I am loving all the book related crafts out there in Blogland.

Most recently I was inspired by Rachael at Lovely Crafty Home, I'm not sure where I found her blog but when I saw her post,  "This Post brought to You by the Letter "E" I was sure to add it to my favorites. I bought a black metal “W” from Michael’s for a dollar (SCORE!) with the intent of using scrapbook paper to embellish it, unfortunately or rather fortunately, I never did anything with it. When I saw Rachael’s wonderful “E”, the wheels started turning. 

I couldn’t bear to rip a book apart that I already owned, so I took a little trip to the Dollar Store and grabbed a couple of hard backs (for a future project) and a paperback to use for this project. I’d like to say I at least read a few pages but it wasn’t appealing at all. Sorry.
Now onto my craft, I started by ripping out a few pages and ripping those into smaller pieces, then I applied a small amount of Modge Podge to the back and applied it to the “W”. At first I tried laying pieces so they just met the edge of the letter, then I decided to just start laying them down letting them fall over the edge, assuming that I could cut the excess off later.

After covering the letter completely I let it dry and then applied another thin coat of Modge Podge



After that project I checked to see what else I had around the house that I could cover, enter square frame from The Dollar Tree. Previously this little beauty had a rooster in it; I just popped it out and threw it away. I ripped up a few more pages and started applying them in the same manner as above.

When I was done I knew I wanted to add a quote in it, so I got online and started searching for reading quotes, it being covered in book pages and all. I settled on “A home without books is a body without soul” by Marcus Tullius Cicera. My upcycled frame found its new home on the book self, I love the pop of color from the background.

Have you ever tried to cover something in torn book pages? Are you a Modge Podge Queen (or King)? What’s your favorite quote about reading? There are so many it’s hard to choose! Share in a comment below!


NightOwlCrafting

Catch a Glimpse Button

giveaways
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!
Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. Love it!! Thanks so much for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Idea! I love the big Initial in book pages!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is too cute! Love the frame!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great! Thanks for visiting me today :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute idea! The frame would be cute using a children's book for a child!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE these simple crafts!

    Thank you so much for linking up to Sew Woodsy! I featured your project today. Please make sure you stop back by and grab a featured button!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also don't like the idea of tearing up books, but have been trying to think of something to do with my old college textbooks (I couldn't sell them back). I didn't want to just throw them out, and saw a few paper flowers on Pinterest using book pages. Now I'm on a hunt for more ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's very trouble-free to find out any matter on web as compared to textbooks, as I found this piece of writing at this web site.|

    My blog: pity 2014 program (noweprogramypity2014.pl)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's actually very complicated in this active life
    to listen news on Television, therefore I just use web
    for that reason, and take the latest news.

    Review my website: entreprise de déménagement

    ReplyDelete
  10. GԀay! I am about to begin my own website and was wondering if you
    know where the best place to buy a blog url is?
    I'm not eνen sure if that's what its known as? (I'm new
    to this) I'm referring to "https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?postID=3461934409361697715&blogID=5526985766229370572".
    Exactly how do I go about getting one of these for the website I'm making?
    Many thanks

    Also visit my website; Fat Burning Furnace

    ReplyDelete
  11. In fact no matter if someone doesn't be aware of then its
    up to other visitors that they will assist, so here it occurs.


    Check out my weblog; bistromd

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job! I have also made so many projects from old books. It's so much fun. I have also find many new and inspiring projects in this book. Check it out!
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Book-Books-beautiful-ornaments-ebook/dp/B00MGJADUK%3FSubscriptionId%3D0ENGV10E9K9QDNSJ5C82%26tag%3Dflatwave-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00MGJADUK

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...